Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thankful in Times of Drudgery – Part 1 of 5

Mother's Day 2008
Do you often feel weighed down, even overwhelmed, by the nitty-gritty of daily life? Does it sometimes seem as if there is nothing you can do to make the job of motherhood any better? Maybe you’re even ready to throw in the towel?

For those of you who are new to this blog, I’ve been following the lives of the Israelites in the time of Moses, mainly their time in the desert as they journeyed to the Promised Land. Life out in the desert wasn’t much fun. There were no shopping malls, no TVs, and no books or magazines to read. Life went on, and there were daily chores to be done. Of course, a few miracles and a few curses broke the monotony every now and again.

Forty years was a long time to be wandering. It was, of course, meant to be a punishment for the unbelief of the parents. Their children, however, had to go with them through this experience. There must have been hundreds of days that felt like drudgery to them. My few years spent stuck at home caring for a family felt something like that to me. Minutes dragged into hours and hours into days.

I spent most of my time trying to make the kids happy, preparing the meals, and cleaning the house. The down-side was that it was never-ending. It was a constant cycle of kids, meals, house, kids, meals, house, kids, meals, house, and on it went. There was little variety and a lot of work.

On my poetry blog Consider the Lilies, I have posted a poem for Mother's Day called "Gifted, Talented Woman." Here is one stanza from the poem: Without women there would be no children to see - There would be no you and also no me - No different cultures, no different faces, - No different colors and no different races...

5 comments:

  1. This is interesting to me, because I am reading Exodus right now. I didn't think about how the women and mother Israelites as they spent their time in the desert. God has entrusted woman and mothers with a gift, a mission - to raise godly children. Thank you for your beautiful poem - I read it and thought is was wonderful!

    I've added your blog to the list of Tea Ladies - women who share their faith with others, under the Tea for Tuesday's page. I'm glad I found you through the Tea Room and hope to meet you there again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for adding me to your Tea friends list! I'm so glad you enjoyed my posts. I hope you got my message on your blog about how creative your pictures are. I'm looking forward to reading more. Treasures at the Table is a great idea. Have a wonderful day! Tina

      Delete
  2. Great blog! I love your post! Following you from the blog hop and hope you would please follow me back too:) Thank you and have a great day!

    http://kngmckellar-glorias.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria! Thanks for the follow! I've been following you through Google+ for some time now. Have a lovely Sunday!

      Tina

      Delete

© 2011 Happy Moms, Happy Homes, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena